Happy October, everybody!
Last year at our local farmer’s market, we discovered Uprooted Kitchen. Of all the food trucks around, they had the cleanest food options. Fruit? Check. Veggies? Check. Ancient grains? Check. Meat substitute and milk substitute for vegans and vegetarians? Check, check.
We quickly became obsessed with their quinoa bowl with coconut milk. The quinoa was always cooked well and never bitter. All the fruits filled us up with its healthy fiber and satisfied our sugar cravings. The dollop of peanut butter provided the protein we needed. And it came with a GF scone! Bonus. Two meals in one.
Uprooted’s last day was this summer. Sad for us, but awesome for them since they are opening up their own physical restaurant.
With them being gone, I needed to recreate this simple yet satisfying meal.
The Recipe, for two bowls
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Coconut flakes
- Honey, as desired
- Chia seeds
- Rinse quinoa to prevent bitter flavor
- Boil water and add quinoa and cinnamon. Reduce to lower temp and simmer for 10-15 minutes until seeds (?) separate
- While quinoa is cooking, cut banana into slices
- Fluff quinoa with spoon or fork or spork and add to bowl
- Top with honey (as much or as little as you like), sliced bananas, coconut, and chia seeds.
- Add milk, as much or as little as you like
Instead of bananas and coconut you can always add your favorite fruit and nut butter. The kitchen is your oyster. Have fun.